Amit D. Kumar leverages his unique legal, corporate and business experience to advise large and small companies – in particular consumer product brands – on matters relating to technology transactions, mergers, strategic alliances, manufacturing, distribution, and advertising.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Kumar was the Vice President of Legal Affairs for TaylorMade-adidas Golf, where he represented the company in a variety of matters for over ten years. While at TaylorMade-adidas Golf, Mr. Kumar led the transaction legal team on deals, such as the public company acquisitions of Ashworth, Inc. and Adams, Inc. and the divesture of the Maxfli brand. In connection with these larger transactions, Mr. Kumar also managed legal issues that arose in integration or deintegration, including for example dealing with termination of international agents and distributors and negotiating transitional services agreements.
Additionally, Mr. Kumar was extensively involved in the day-to-day legal operations of the company, which included:
- negotiating a variety of technology transactions, including licenses in and licenses out of intellectual property, product development agreements, and software licenses;
- drafting and negotiating domestic and international distribution agreements, as well as managing legal issues that arose during the term of the agreements;
- drafting and negotiating license agreements for branded products, including a major exclusive manufacturing and license agreement for branded accessories as well as a related worldwide supply agreement;
- advising on domestic and international sales matters, such as pricing policy and transshipping issues;
- negotiating contracts with suppliers and managing compliance with quality and ethical standards;
- drafting and negotiating athlete endorsement and sponsorship agreements;
- substantiating advertising claims, approving print, digital and video advertisements, and handling advertising disputes with competitors; and
- forecasting legal costs and controlling costs within a budget.
Mr. Kumar also has hands-on business experience, having run the TaylorMade Performance Labs, a chain of premium golf club fitting centers. Mr. Kumar gained invaluable insight as a business owner and a deeper appreciation for the complexities faced by today’s executive teams trying to cultivate consumer loyalty and build their brand in the face of increasing competition.
Earlier in his career, Mr. Kumar worked in the Los Angeles offices of two major international law firms, where he drafted and negotiated documents, such as stock and asset purchase agreements, secured and unsecured credit facilities, and technology licenses.
Insights View All
Columbia University School of Law, J.D. (1999) Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
University of California, Berkeley, A.B., Rhetoric, Minor in Philosophy (1996)
Solana Beach Soccer Club, Board Member, Sponsorship Chairperson
While we are pleased to have you contact us by telephone, surface mail, electronic mail, or by facsimile transmission, contacting Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP or any of its attorneys does not create an attorney-client relationship. The formation of an attorney-client relationship requires consideration of multiple factors, including possible conflicts of interest. An attorney-client relationship is formed only when both you and the Firm have agreed to proceed with a defined engagement.
DO NOT CONVEY TO US ANY INFORMATION YOU REGARD AS CONFIDENTIAL UNTIL A FORMAL CLIENT-ATTORNEY RELATIONSHIP HAS BEEN ESTABLISHED.
If you do convey information, you recognize that we may review and disclose the information, and you agree that even if you regard the information as highly confidential and even if it is transmitted in a good faith effort to retain us, such a review does not preclude us from representing another client directly adverse to you, even in a matter where that information could be used against you.